Nederlands tijdschrift voor geneeskunde. Amsterdam
- Print ISSN
- Electronic ISSN
- Usage rank
- Article count
- Free count
- Free percentage
- PDFs via platforms
- Metapress, Proquest, CSA, and Springer
[Organ donation after active euthanasia in a patient with a neurodegenerative disease].
In countries where active euthanasia by a physician is allowed under law - Belgium and the Netherlands - physicians are sometimes confronted with patients who want to donate organs after active euthanasia has been performed. This combination of procedures has been reported in Belgium, and this artic...
[Preeclampsia as cardiovascular risk factor].
Cardiovascular diseases (CVD) are the primary cause of death in women. Guidelines for identifying high-risk individuals have been developed, e.g. the Dutch Guideline on Cardiovascular Risk Management. In the most recent version of this guideline, diabetes mellitus (DM) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
[Summary of the practice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD in adolescents and adults with addictions].
- Various guidelines are available for the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD in adults, but not for patients with ADHD and a comorbid substance use disorder (SUD).- In 2010, the Addiction Medicine Working Party, a division of the VAD (Verenigingvoor Alcohol- en andere Drugproblemen / Association for A...
[Health claims for medical foods].
Souvenaid (Nutricia, Zoetermeer, the Netherlands) is a medical food for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease. The mix of nutrients in this drink is suggested to have a beneficial effect on cognitive function; such implicit health claims for medical foods are not checked by government...
[Summary of the Dutch College of General Practitioners' (NHG) practice guideline 'Gastric symptoms'].
The guideline 'Gastric symptoms' covers the diagnosis and management of adults with dyspepsia in general practice, the prevention of unnecessary proton pump inhibitor use, and gastric protection during treatment with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including low-dose acetylsalicylic...
[Non-heart-beating kidney donors: first improve ischemic times, then allocation].
A study recently published in The Lancet investigated the 3-year graft survival of heart-beating (HB) and non-heart-beating (NHB) kidney donors. This was done utilizing the UK registry. The study concluded that donor age affects graft survival. It also demonstrated that NHB kidneys tolerate cold isc...
[The use of mesh in vaginal prolapse].
- More than 13,000 vaginal prolapse operations are performed in the Netherlands each year.- Native tissue repair is associated with a re-operation risk of 20-30%.- Randomized trials demonstrate that mesh reinforced repairs are anatomically and functionally more effective in the short and medium term...
[Bladder-conserving treatment for bladder cancer: potential of and developments in radiotherapy].
- The standard treatment for muscle-invasive bladder cancer is surgical removal of the bladder and construction of a neobladder. Recently, important improvements have been made in the potential for bladder-conserving treatment using radiotherapy.- External beam radiotherapy has undergone technologic...
[Treatment of cartilaginous defects in the knee: recommendations from the Dutch Orthopaedic Association].
- Cartilaginous defects in the knee occur frequently and can cause the patient considerable limitations.- They are diagnosed and classified by means of MRI and arthroscopy.- The surgical options available to treat deep chondral laesions include bone marrow stimulation techniques (microfracture treat...
[A deceased child as organ donor: a major sacrifice asked of the parents].
A shortage of organs is the key factor limiting transplantation in children. In the Netherlands, the Dutch Organ Donation Act allows voluntary registration. Citizens aged 12 years and older may register as organ donors of their own free will. This results in a 40 percent registration of all Dutch ci...