In the shadow of the Baron: sudden death due to Munchausen syndrome.
The authors describe a woman who died suddenly in an emergency department restroom after self-injection of corn starch in an attempt to gain admission to the hospital. At autopsy, multiple pulmonary vascular corn starch granulomata were identified, as well as pulmonary arteries filled with brewer's yeast. Retrospective evaluation of the patient's medical history showed multiple signs of Munchausen Syndrome. The authors suggest that the case illustrates the importance of scene investigation and review of the medical history by emergency department personnel and the forensic pathologist.
Version: za2963e q8za0 q8zb1 q8zcf q8zd4 q8ze7 q8zf3 q8zg9